Cupcakes make it all better? who agrees? My mental health recently like everyone’s has well and truly sucked! A blend of lockdown, work stress, step parenting hardship and just feeling a bit rubbish about myself has made the last couple of weeks a bit unbearable.
My future husband
I am lucky to have a man that understands my needs be big or small he is most accommodating. One thing to know about James, he cannot keep a house to save his life but his cake making skills are AMAZING!
So after a long 45 hour week at work I was rewarded to come home to a batch of minty chocolate chip cupcakes I’ve named mental healthcare cupcakes, a sweet treat to lift the mood and tastebuds. What a treat!
Lucky for us James recorded the process as his never mad them before, so now, you lucky herd members you get to enjoy making your own too!
So, what do we need for the cupcakes?
For the chocolate cake!
- 120g of flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 85g unsalted butter softened at room temprature
- 150g sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
Let’s bake cupcakes!
1. Lets begin with pre heating our ovens to 175 C (350F) and getting our cake cases ready in a cake tin.
2. Combine your flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a mixting bowl and set aside for later.
3. Next add your butter, oil, vanilla extract and sugar to a mixing bowl. Cream together until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing each in after adding.
TIP- Scrape down the bowl side to make sure the ingrediantts are well combined.
5. Add half the dry ingredients into the mixture and mix well.
6. slowly add the milk and mix till well combined. The mixture will look curdled.
7. Add the remaining dry mixture till the batter becomes smooth, but remember not to over mix it!
8. Spoon the mixture into the cake cases, three quarters full should be enough. Bake these for about 15-20 minutes or in till a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
9. When ready, remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool.
For the icing
you will need
- 100g salted butter
- 80g Shortening (Trex- this can the found in most butter or baking aisles in the supermarket)
- 460g icing sugar
- 2 tsp of mint extract
- 2-3 tbsp of water or milk
- green gel icing colour or a few drops of food colouring
- mini chocolate chips
1. mix the butter and shortening in a large mixing bowl till smooth.
2. Add half the icing sugar, and mix well till the mixture is smooth.
3. Add mint extract, the food colouring or gel and a tablespoon of milk or water. the mixture should still be smooth.
4. Add the remaining icing sugar and mix till smooth
5. Add the remaining milk/water as needed and mix till smooth.
6. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, use a large round tip, and pipe icing evenly on the top, then smooth the top and sides with a offset spatula (this is optional, if you like them the way they are leave them!)
7. add the mini chocolate chips to a small bowl and dip the sides of your cupcakes in so they stick. (you may be lucky and have left overs!)
Now to eat!
Now the baking done, leaving the washing up, make a cuppa, sit in a comfortable spot and relish the first bite! Oh My Goodness you will be making these a lot!
There you have it, mental healthcare cupcakes, a yummy pick me up when you’re feeling do. Treat yourself to them!
Remember, Make mess, make memories!